The M.O.T. Big Ball Marathon committee is currently making plans for the 18th annual Labor Day weekend event, for 24 straight hours beginning Friday, September 4th, 2015 at 6pm.
The goal of the Big Ball Marathon is to raise money to assist individuals, families in need, charities and organizations in the Middletown / Odessa / Townsend (M.O.T.) area. The Big Ball Marathon Committee is committed to supporting and improving the lives of those in need in the M.O.T. community.
We meet the goal each year with the help of volunteers, a great deal of community support and corporate sponsorship who, together, make the 24-hour Big Ball (softball) marathon on Labor Day weekend a huge success. The popular event is much more than 24 hours of softball, though. It is 24 hours of fun!
The Big Ball Marathon has raised over half a million dollars for local families in need, charities, and organizations!
The Marathon is held at Silver Lake Park on 200 E. Cochran St. in Middletown, Delaware. (map)
The Big Ball Marathon raised the roof - quite literally! Big Ball has made a multi-year commitment to Habitat for Humanity to donate funds for the roofs of four Habitat homes being built in Middletown. With your help, we can meet this goal, along with our ongoing commitment to the needs of the community.
What we've done for the community:
* Supported the PBS program (Positive Behavior Support) in each of our schools within the district
* Contributed to the expansion of the M.O.T. Senior Center
* After an initial donation of $65,000 to bring Habitat for Humanity houses into our area, an additional $12,000 was given to their recent construction
* Provided food, utilities, medical supplies, and even transportation to hundreds of families in need within the past year alone
* Established an annual Big Ball scholarship fund to award to a graduating senior for their outstanding community service
* Provided funding to the Appoquinimink School District for needed school supplies
* Provided $35,000 seed money for local shelter
* Replenished the food supply at the Neighborhood House and provided them with a new computer they badly needed
* Purchased new wheelchairs for the Freedom Center for Independent Living
* Honored our commitment to the Kellen Poultney Scholarship Fund as well as our annual donation to M.O.T. Special Olympics
* Donated to the Everett Theater, The Gibby Center, Boys & Girls Club, Youth for Christ, Amazing Grace Ministries, MOT Senior Center
We invite corporate donors to contribute to the event so that they can show their support to the community and to humanity. There are several levels of sponsorship. Please help us this year by considering which level best matches your association's desires and goals toward helping the M.O.T. community. Our financial goal this year is $60,000. We can reach this goal with your help!
Thousands of people from the community and surrounding areas come out to support the 24-hour event. They come at all hours to watch the games, cheer the players on, enjoy the delicious concessions, enjoy Pony rides, carnival games, dance to the music, and just to be part of the camaraderie of this magnificent event.
Who are our ball players? You may know many of them. The incoming challenger teams are business sponsored teams, church sponsored teams, teams associated with schools and clubs, neighborhood associations, and fire companies, to name just some. Each person who plays ball during the event contributes money; and by doing this, they are doing their part to make a positive difference in the community. And of course, there are the amazing Marathon teams - four of them - these players play ball for 12 hours straight. Did I mention amazing? How do they do it? They have fun and they know they are giving back to the community that has been there for them!
Please plan to come out and show your support at our 18th Annual Big Ball Marathon scheduled for September 4th - 5th, 2015!